Spam reporting

We know you have an opinion on how things should be run around here. These are suggestions for the forums, and the website.This forum is not a place to ask for suggestions to your own coding (or otherwise) problems.

Moderator: General Moderators

greyhoundcode
Forum Regular

Spam reporting

Post by greyhoundcode »

It's possible to flag up posts as flouting the forum rules as I'm sure we all know - in this case I'm thinking of spam - and I assume a moderator is appropriately alerted and can then delete the offending post.

It would be good if, based on the number of quality reports received (ie, if user X reports 20 posts as being spam and a moderator then deletes 100% of those posts) users are given a sort of reliability weighting, and when it reaches a certain point - say 30 reports with 100% accuracy or something - then from there on the forums take reports from those users on trust and deletes the posts without moderator intervention.

Might be a faster way to get rid of spam postings?
Benjamin
Site Administrator

Re: Spam reporting

Post by Benjamin »

You can report posts by clicking on the ! icon on the bottom right of each posts. We usually delete them or move them all as we find them.
Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Post by Jonah Bron »

That would probably be too much trouble to set up for the Admins to want to bother with. Around here, they use a different method:

The "hang around a really really long time and maybe after about ten years and if we recognize you as being trust-worthy and if we have an overload of spam or some other reason, you might become a mod" method.

It's worked very well so far.

:lol:
Weirdan

Post by Weirdan »

Jonah Bron wrote: It's worked very well so far.
None of the mods were here for 10 years though (the earliest registration is from 2002) :twisted: . But other than that - yes, that's the method we use.
Benjamin
Site Administrator

Post by Benjamin »

Seeing how programmers are lazy and the amount of time I am spending per day deleting spam has recently exceeded 1 hour, I have modified the phpBB codebase.

I have added code which will require users with less than 15 posts to enter a reCaptcha image every time they post. As time permits I may also block the ability for new accounts to enter profile & signature information.

The phpBB codebase is very unusual, so if any issues with this creep up please let me know.
Attachments
Captcha Screenshot
Captcha Screenshot
ss.png (32.75 KiB) Viewed 19037 times
VladSun
DevNet Master

Post by VladSun »

Thanks, Benjamin.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't
John Cartwright
Site Admin

Post by John Cartwright »

Hey Benjamin,

You might want to consider changing the error message to indicate 15 messages are required before captcha is bypassed, not 10,000.

Good work though, I like the modifications.

Not that it matters for me :D
Benjamin
Site Administrator

Post by Benjamin »

That was only for testing so it would show up for me.
John Cartwright
Site Admin

Post by John Cartwright »

Benjamin wrote:That was only for testing so it would show up for me.
Ah. Gotcha. :drunk:
Darhazer
DevNet Resident

Post by Darhazer »

Benjamin wrote:The phpBB codebase is very unusual, so if any issues with this creep up please let me know.
Well, actually only the newbies will have any issues, and if they cannot post, they will unable to report them :) And I bet they won't find the topic anyway (there should be quite visible topic about this change in the forums)
So we need to create new account and test this feature :)

However this beats my still unwritten suggestion to have a counter and if more then let's say 5 posts of the same user are reported as spam, temporary disable the user's ability to post unless moderator reviews the reports :mrgreen: