new section: jquery

We know you have an opinion on how things should be run around here. These are suggestions for the forums, and the website.This forum is not a place to ask for suggestions to your own coding (or otherwise) problems.

Moderator: General Moderators

yacahuma
Forum Regular

new section: jquery

Post by yacahuma »

Hello,
Jquery seems to be the way to go for new web development (web 2.0). I would like to suggest a jquery section on phpdn. The things you are going to do with jquery are so peculiar , that they should not go inside the javascript section.

Thank you
Benjamin
Site Administrator

Re: new section: jquery

Post by Benjamin »

If we did that, I think we would also need to add a forum for prototype as well. We could take a vote on it.
Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Post by Jonah Bron »

Perhaps just a generic forum for Javascript frameworks, jQuery, Mootools, Dojo, etc.?
Eran
DevNet Master

Post by Eran »

What's the problem with using the current Javascript section for that? we don't have a section for PHP frameworks as well (and that's more of a core discussion here in the forums)
The things you are going to do with jquery are so peculiar , that they should not go inside the javascript section.
What's so peculiar about using jQuery? it's still javascript at its base
yacahuma
Forum Regular

Post by yacahuma »

I think a generic javascript framework will be a good solution. A php frameworks forum will not be a bad idea either. Having a question about a framework usually has nothing to do with the language. For example, phpdn has a security forum. If I follow pytrin logic, I will say that the section could go inside php code. If the idea about having different forums is to separate the topics, then having a framework sections make sense.
Eran
DevNet Master

Post by Eran »

phpdn has a security forum. If I follow pytrin logic, I will say that the section could go inside php code
Hardly. Though sometimes code is involved, a lot of the discussions there are about theory and best practices. Security also involves other parts such as databases and servers.
pickle
Briney Mod

Post by pickle »

-1. jQuery is javascript so that's where it should stay. The more we break up areas of discussion, the greater chance there is for posting in the wrong forum & people hesitating to ask a question because they don't know where to post.
Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
VladSun
DevNet Master

Post by VladSun »

I'll have to agree and disagree :)
While I like very much JavaScript as a language and I'm willing to help anyone who needs help in the JavaScript section, it's very rare that it would be the case (I mean the post is about a "pure" JavaScript problem) - 70% of posts are about jQuery. I've played with it a lot, but I don't find its problems interesting enough to answer. JavaScript is a very powerful language and "end-user-wrappers" like jQuery may be considered as different simplified languages (I do agree they solve many issues like cross-browser ones, document parsing, etc.).

So, probably a "JavaScript" section together with a "JavaScript frameworks" section would be my wish :)
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't
josh
DevNet Master

Post by josh »

- Javascript Code
- Javascript Frameworks

We broke it out like that for PHP code (sort of). I'm proposing adding 'PHP Frameworks' as well.
Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Post by Jonah Bron »

josh wrote:- Javascript Code
- Javascript Frameworks

We broke it out like that for PHP code (sort of). I'm proposing adding 'PHP Frameworks' as well.
Well, this is a PHP forum after all :roll:
josh
DevNet Master

Post by josh »

Its never been exclusively PHP.